Western Ward for Councilor – 1 Position
Location where the Show is being Filmed – Kelson Community Hall
Date of the show – Sunday 4th September 2022
Times to arrive – Audience Members arrive by 630pm
Broadcast Time – 7pm to 9pm
Books your tickets here
Submit your questions here – We will select the best questions for the show
Candidates who are Standing
Standing here – Register your attendance here
Confirmed attending It's in the Ballot in Person Website - https://www.chrisparkin.online/ Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Chris.Parkin.for.HCC Twitter - Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/ctparkin/ Email - Parkin.email@example.com
Confirmed attending It's in the Ballot in Person Website - https://www.unitedhutt.co.nz/sandra-greig Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/UnitedHutt2022 Twitter - Instagram - Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions that are in the Shows Boxes
- Are you a current member of any political party and has your campaign received any support from a political party, including access to voter databases and volunteers?
- The entry into Stokes Valley is no longer fit for purpose, given the increase in population and traffic into the valley. It is chronically bottlenecked, is vulnerable to flooding and accidents, and is indirect (so wastes petrol).
- What will you do to help Northern Ward councillors to gain a direct on/off access to the motorway for Stokes Valley?
- What are your priorities to work on for the next three years if you are elected?
- Should councils be forced to treat their potable water with fluoride?
- Why should I vote for you? (no political jargon please)
- What support do you have from the current Mayor for your campaign platforms?
- What are you going to do to stop rate rises going up and up at a higher rate than wages?
- What are your thoughts on the public libraries in Hutt City, and do you have any plans around them?
- What will you bring that is different from the current leadership?
- What is your vision for improving recycling in Hutt City?
- What are your thoughts on Hutt City shifting to voting using Single Transferable Vote instead of First Past the Post?
- What is your immediate actionable plan for upgrading decaying and failing infrastructure such as sewage, water, and stabilisation of hillsides for critical routes and suspending non critical projects?
- How do you propose to foster a more positive public impression of more active modes of transport such as cycling and walking?
- Covid has shown us that we need a bit more space to move around and not catch contagious diseases. At the moment those in cars have all the space and pedestrians are squashed onto narrow pavements.
- What will you do to make more space for those of us walking around the city; such as one way streets, change on street parking to pavement etc?
- Saving the planet and saving the car can’t happen together.
- What are you going to do in the term to actively reduce the number of private cars driving around and being parked on our streets?
- Wellington City Council has committed to normalising te Reo Maori.
- Would you commit to doing the same for Hutt City?
- How will you personally role model reducing climate change? Such as cycling to work every day, or eating a plant based diet?
- Would you bring in household food waste collection to stop this from going to landfill?
- Internationally, cities that are nicer places to walk around are considered better places to live. What will you do to improve the experience of pedestrians in Hutt City such as wider footpaths, less on street parking, more green spaces, protection from the wind and rain?
- We need land for housing.
- How will you support freeing up land in the right places (and without letting rich Not In My BackYarders (NIMBYs) stop you)?
- What are you doing to ensure young people’s voices are heard and actioned to keep our city vibrant and growing?
- What’s your biggest priority for the next term, and how do you intend on delivering on that?
- A councilor resigns 12 months before the next election.
- What would you propose for the vacancy?
- How do you think Kelson could become more resilient in terms of entry/exit with one road in and out onto a dangerous and busy section of the motorway, in terms of road safety and potential slips like Stokes Valley has experienced recently, remembering also a very significant slip in our suburb not too far from the main road.
- Should this be prioritized over other intersections in the region where there are already other options for travel routes?
- The Hutt River, along with many of its tributaries fall in our ward.
- How do you propose to protect the river from pollution and secure it from flooding?
- Dog owners in Christchurch have been issued with a lifelong metal disk engraved with their pet’s unique identification number from June 2022 under a change to dog registrations that will help the environment and save money.
- Do you think Hutt City Council should adopt this policy?
- What priorities would you advocate for that are specific to the Western Ward, and how?
- Should councils be funding and organizing community events?
Hard Hitting Questions
- What is your position on the Three Waters Reform and why have you come to that position?
- What is your position on the $199 Million Cross Valley Link Project and would you be supporting or opposing it in the long term plan?
- For many years the Kelson community has been asking for a pedestrian crossing and larger islands for crossing safety in between Taieri Cres and Kelso Grove, often referred to as ‘the dip’ by locals, as we are on a hill. Our requests and petitions have been met with a “no way” and it’s still unsafe to cross there. However, children are crossing assuming it’s safe to do so and some cars stop and some don’t, as there are no white lines.
- What measures would you take to try and improve the situation?
Highlight Videos from the Night
More to come