The Porirua City Council Mayoral Race
Location where the Show is being Filmed – Porirua College
Date of the show – Wednesday 21st September 2022
Times to arrive – Audience Members arrive by 630pm
Broadcast Time – 7pm to 9pm
Books your tickets here
Submit your questions here – We will select the best questions for the show
Candidates who are Standing
Standing here – Register your attendance here
Originally confirmed to attend than changed her mind Website - Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/anitaforporirua Twitter - Instagram - Email - email@example.com
Confirmed Attending It's in the Ballot in Person Website - Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/vote1tapu Twitter - Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/vote1tapu/ Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ura Wilson – Pokoati
Confirmed Attending It's in the Ballot in Person Website - Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/UraPoriruaMayor2022 Twitter - Instagram - Email - ura4Porirua@gmail.com
Confirmed Attending It's in the Ballot in Person Website - http://nicolefoss.vote/ Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NicoleMFoss Twitter - Instagram - Email - email@example.com
Questions that are in the Shows Boxes
- What are the challenges facing the harbour and its catchments? And what are your priorities for protecting and enhancing the quality of the harbour and its catchments?
- Te Awarua o Porirua is one of our most precious taonga.
- What are the current issues facing our waterways and what are you going to do to address those issues?
- What are your thoughts on the public libraries in Porirua, and do you have any plans around them?
- What are your plans for flood mitigation and resilience if you become elected, particularly in Plimmerton?
- Currently there is no nice and safe way to ride a bike from Whitby into Porirua.
- What is your position on bike paths and bike lanes?
- This year there will be a Māori Ward Councillor.
- How do you see Porirua City Council achieving true co-governance with Māori?
- Will you actually improve the city, or just do vanity projects? Either way, what plans do you have?
- A councillor resigns 12 months before the next election.
- What would you propose for the vacancy?
- In your view, what actually is the role of Mayor, and what skills do you bring to the role?
- What’s your biggest priority for the next term, and how do you intend on delivering on that?
- What will you bring that is different from the current leadership?
- How do you propose to foster a more positive public impression of more active modes of transport such as cycling and walking?
- Would you bring in household food waste collection to stop this from going to landfill?
- What are you going to do to ensure young people’s voices are heard and actioned to keep our city vibrant and growing?
- Should councils be funding and organising community events?
- How will you personally role model reducing climate change? Such as cycling to work every day, or eating a plant based diet, etc?
- What is your immediate actionable plan for upgrading decaying and failing infrastructure such as sewage, water, and stabilisation of hillsides for critical routes and suspending non critical projects?
- Wellington City Council has committed to normalising Te Reo Māori.
- Would you commit to doing the same for Porirua City?
- The current process for citizen engagement seems very daunting for the majority of people.
- How can ordinary residents and ratepayers get their voices heard by the council?
- Do you support more housing in Porirua, and if so, how and where would you see this achieved?
- Internationally, cities that are nicer places to walk around are considered better places to live.
- What will you do to improve the experience of pedestrians in Porirua such as wider footpaths, less on street parking, more green spaces, protection from the wind and rain?
- Do you support the use of Masks, especially in doors as an important tool for keeping Covid at bay and others safe?
- Why should I vote for you? (no political jargon please)
- What is your vision for improving recycling in Porirua?
- How will you provide for our community to get around in low carbon, healthy and low cost means that will enable our City to halve our transport emissions by 2030?
- Should social housing firstly be offered to those who are locals?
- We need land for housing.
- How will you support freeing up land in the right places (and without letting rich NIMBYs stop you)?
- Saving the planet and saving the car can’t happen together.
- What are you going to do in the term to actively reduce the number of private cars driving around and being parked on our streets?
Hard Hitting Questions
- What is your position on the Three Waters Reform and why have you come to that position?
- Could you please share your thoughts on Covid-19 vaccination, and whether you have any affiliation with Voices for Freedom, Freedom Rights Coalition, or any other organisation involved in the occupation of parliament?
- There is a section of Champion Street which constantly floods in heavy rains. The current council’s solution was to post a sign saying “Flood Risk Area”.
- What steps will you take to actually solve this problem and stop the flooding here and in other areas with similar problems?
- Choose 1 candidate standing in each ward that you would like voters to vote for in order to help build your team as Mayor.
Highlight Videos from the Night
More to come